Beijing Corner Tower

पर्यटन बजार९ जेष्ठ २०७६, बिहीबार मा प्रकाशित

Beijing Corner Tower

may 23 , 2019

Corner towers of the Forbidden City were established in 1420, rebuilt in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). As one part of the Forbidden City, they served as the defense facility just as the lofty walls, the gate towers and the moat. The corner towers rest on the base with Buddist-style building surrounded with stone columns. the four corner towers of the Forbidden City inherited the flexibility of the traditional wood structure construction and the skillful combination of the function and decoration indicated the superb and excellent craftsmanship of ancient Chinese craftsman.

The Forbidden City is surrounded by a 7.9 metres high city wall and a 6 metres deep by 52 metres wide moat. The walls are 8.62 metres wide at the base, tapering to 6.66 metres  at the top. These walls served as both defensive walls and retaining walls for the palace. They were constructed with a rammed earth core, and surfaced with three layers of specially baked bricks on both sides, with the interstices filled with mortar.

At the four corners of the wall sit towers with intricate roofs boasting 72 ridges, reproducing the Pavilion of Prince Teng and the Yellow Crane Pavilion as they appeared in Song Dynasty paintings. These towers are the most visible parts of the palace to commoners outside the walls, and much folklore is attached to them. According to one legend, artisans could not put a corner tower back together after it was dismantled for renovations in the early Qing Dynasty, and it was only rebuilt after the intervention of carpenter-immortal Lu Ban. 
Facebook Comment

छुटाउनुभयो कि?